So you probably remember my post about painting my loveseat and I mentioned how my plan was to reupholster the bigger couch. Well, I sort of halfway did that. While I was trying to decide what kind of fabric to cover it with, we were storing it in the bedroom because we didn’t have any other space for it. I started to think about how even after I did that project, where would I put the finished piece? The apartment could really only comfortably have one six foot couch in it and I didn’t feel like getting rid of the couch I so painstakingly recovered a few months ago. That’s when this new idea popped in my head. This whole time we’ve been in this apartment I knew I wanted to make myself a tufted headboard and after having the couch in our bedroom lined up perfectly with our bed for a while it finally clicked in my head to covert the couch into a headboard.
Here’s a photo of the couches I found at Goodwill. The one on the right is the one I used for this project. I hated that fabric, so it had to go.
Well, it happened. I joined the ranks of the crazy people who looked at their couch and thought, “I should paint that.” I had seen a few examples of people painting their couches online, and after reading all of them, I decided I would just forgo the textile medium and just use latex paint. My reasoning was that latex paint was already very flexible, so I wouldn’t need the medium for that. Also people use the medium to heat set the fabric, but from what I know about that stuff, it’s to set the paint so it doesn’t wash out in the washing machine. And I’m not throwing my couch into the washing machine any time soon.
This whole thing happened when I went to Goodwill to look for a coffee table or dresser. So of course I found an awesome love seat and couch that I couldn’t just leave there. The only bad things about them were the grandma floral fabric and broken springs. Both easily fixable. I made sure we would be able to get them home somehow (we have a small sedan… not really fit for transporting a love seat and a couch) and then bought those suckers. Here’s a breakdown of this project:
Love seat and couch – $115
Uhaul(we need a truck…) – $55
Oops paint (grey, eggshell finish) – $5
Total – $175
Really, I only painted the love seat, so I didn’t know if I should include the couch in the prices and everything, but I did anyway. If you wanted to split up the couch cost and Uhaul cost between both couches, it would be around $90 for this love seat project. Anyway, here’s a picture of these guys at Goodwill:
A few months ago, my boyfriend and I uprooted and moved one state over. It was fairly short notice, so we just packed as much as we could into an SUV and drove to our new apartment. The only “furniture” we could fit in the car was a fold up table, tiny folding chairs and a blow up mattress. After living like this for a few days, I was finally able to go out to find a sofa. I ended up finding this nice camel back sofa with lion feet legs.
Isn’t it beautiful?! Not. It had the ugliest slip cover, but a quick glance at the underlying fabric and I fell in love.
This is the story of how this ugly sofa turned into a beautiful piece of furniture.
I had never really thought too much about how I stored my pins. I’d keep them in the little plastic box thing that they came in and of course, whenever I’d open the thing, I’d pull on it too hard and end up tossing pins all over my work area. I would always tell myself I should really get better storage for them and finally I did. While lurking around on the internet I found a few examples of people taking dishes and gluing a magnet underneath so you could toss your pins in it with no worries. I thought it was brilliant and ran to Goodwill to snatch up a small dish to use!
Here are my materials. A soap dish, a very strong magnet from an old harddrive and my handy dandy E-6000.
So this post today is for two reasons. First and foremost, I made some kickin’ rad one of a kind mugs. I got this idea thanks to craftster, roboarsonist. She used a ceramic paint pen by Pebeo called Porcelaine 150 and used it to draw some designs on a few mugs. Once I saw that I knew I had to try it. I went to Michaels and grabbed myself one pen and then to Goodwill to grab up some mugs and then went to town on them. Well, actually only two of them so far… and here they are!
When I was a freshman in college, my mom bought me a table to somehow fit into my tiny dorm room.. It was ugly and white, and my roommate and I knew we had to do something to make it fit into our room better. See, we were both artsy people so a plain white table in our colorful room would not do. My roomate brought a carpet one day and after situating the table on top of it, we knew what we had to do to the table.
Here’s a blurry picture of what we did:
(Thats my messy ass side of the room) We used electrical tape around the side of the table so it’d be black instead of that weird brown.. it made it look more finished.
Well actually, not galore.. because there’s only two, but you get the idea! When two of my friends told me they were pregnant, after the initial shock wore away, I got excited to make them baby quilts. I was hoping that at least one of them would have a girl, so I could make a cute girls quilt, but I had no such luck for they were both having boys. That didn’t stop me from making two cute quilts though!
I made this for the contest over at Craftster for this month. Basically you buy anything at the dollar store, but it has to cost 10 bucks or less. There have been some amazing entries so far, so hopefully I do alright!
Here’s my entry:
For more pictures and a somewhat explanation/rambling, check out my post on Craftster, here. Make sure to check out the other entries as well, they’re all great!